437th Airlift Wing to welcome new commander | News
JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC)- The 437th Airlift Wing at Joint Base Charleston will hold a ceremony Friday to welcome a new commander.
Col. Darren Hartford is scheduled to take over for Col. Erik Hansen in a formal change of command ceremony on Friday, October 5 at the base. Col. Hansen is transferring to Headquarters U.S. Africa Command in Stuttgart, Germany after being in command of the 437th Airlift Wing since May 2011.
Col. Hartford currently serves as the assistant director of operations at Headquarters Air Mobility Command at Scott AFB, Illinois. He will take command immediately following Friday's ceremony.
The 437th Airlift Wing provides airland or airdrop of military personnel and equipment worldwide. Under Col. Hansen, the win performed more than 31,378 missions flying 77,775 hours, carrying 410,579 passengers and 341,405 tons of cargo.
The ceremony will be officiated by Lt. Gen. Darren W. McDew, Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Illinois.
Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Joint Base Charleston Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 'Sounds of Summer' concert series to feature The Sneakers
- Friday's 'Sounds of Summer' concert is cancelled
- Port Authority to play Goose Creek 'Sounds of Summer' this Friday
- 911 hostage call: 'I attempted to rob him...things didn't go as planned'
- Alert customer alerts cops to shooting, hostage taking at store
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal