Prescribed fire continues at Joint Base Charleston | News
JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC)- For the second day in a row, Joint Base Charleston natural resources officials will conduct a prescribed fire in the timberlands of Joint Base Charleston Weapons Station on Monday.
These woodlands are in southern Berkeley County between the city of Goose Creek and Bushy Park industrial area.
The smoke may be visible from North Rhett Avenue, Red Bank Road, Bushy Park Road and the Don Holt Bridge on I-526.
Prescribed fire is conducted to prevent wildfires by reducing natural fuel loads present in the woods, manage for timber and wildlife habitat enhancement, encourage ecosystem restoration and management, and to suppress forest diseases and pests.
Joint Base Charleston officials ask that you do not call 911 or the local fire departments to report these fires.
Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Joint Base Charleston Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 'Sounds of Summer' concert series to feature The Sneakers
- Friday's 'Sounds of Summer' concert is cancelled
- Port Authority to play Goose Creek 'Sounds of Summer' this Friday
- 911 hostage call: 'I attempted to rob him...things didn't go as planned'
- Alert customer alerts cops to shooting, hostage taking at store
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal